After three years, The EU-funded Common Good First project comes to an end this October. To review the work we've done and to look forward to next steps, please join us for our final event in Cape Town over the two days of 8th and 9th October 2019.
But let's back up. What IS Common Good First?
Imagine addressing social challenges whilst combining the innate African ability for story-telling with the best that technology has to offer. Imagine bringing together academics from twelve European and South African institutions to facilitate the compilation and sharing of discourse by members of local communities and grassroots organisations, allowing them to share innovative approaches in addressing challenges facing their human development on a global platform.
This is exactly what the Common Good First Project has endeavoured to do through the creation of a digital platform, showcasing South African social impact projects to the world, connecting them, enabling them and learning from them.
In a South Africa where a social compact between the public sector, private sector, higher education institutions and civil society is paramount, this project and its global digital platform will add value by:
- enabling communities and grassroots organisations to design and tell their own stories, using mobile phone technology and Common Good First-funded digital laboratories hosted at selected Universities
- facilitating linkages between community initiatives and potential private sector partners
- supporting the growth of e-skills among communities
- supporting engaged scholarship within the higher education environment, creating new opportunities for research, learning and teaching and community engagement
- facilitating collaboration between higher education institutions in the global North and South in social innovation, digital literacy and engaged scholarship
You are warmly invited to come and share in the launch of the Common Good First platform, share your views, hear case studies and community best practice. And be part of our story.
The preliminary agenda can be viewed here.